Environment, Climate and Sustainability
Head of Buildings & Industry
ECOS is an international NGO with a network of members and experts advocating for environmentally friendly standards, policies and laws. We ensure the environmental voice is heard when they are developed and drive change by providing expertise to policymakers and industry players, leading to the implementation of strong environmental principles. Our successes include securing a ban on new fossil fuel boilers, mainstreaming eco-design, introducing universal chargers, and improving our right to repair. ECOS is headquartered in Brussels and has an exceptional team of over 30 staff supported by a network of 50 technical experts and almost 60 member organisations.
About the role
We are looking for a highly motivated Head of Buildings & Industry to lead our high-impact work towards a decarbonised, sustainable and circular built environment and industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme & Policy
- Lead ECOS strategy in the field of buildings & industry, with a view to promoting the environmental interest in international and European policies and standards.
- Lead a team of 3 Programme Managers and several ambitious projects involving colleagues across various teams.
- Create impact through advocacy, standardisation and campaigns.
- Shape ECOS’s vision and position in the sector, developing our footprint and impact.
- Raise ECOS profile at national, regional and international levels, and notably towards standardisation organisations, European institutions, UN fora, etc.
- Lead and develop a portfolio of projects aligned with our environmental and strategic objectives
- Manage and develop relationships with funders.
- Contribute to ECOS strategic planning and organisational development.
Engagement with ECOS networks
- Create impactful communications content for ECOS including articles, opinion pieces, and publications, in cooperation with the Communications Department.
- Actively strengthen cooperation with ECOS networks including member organisations, potential new members, campaigns and any relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure effective involvement of members and experts in ECOS activities.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience, preferably with NGOs, institutions, consultancies, or companies working in the environmental field.
- Demonstrated experience in developing & implementing strategies to achieve change, ideally by leading coalitions or campaigns.
- Team leadership experience.
- Knowledge of the buildings and/or industrial policies at the national, European or international levels is a plus.
- Willingness to develop an understanding of technical work and the standardisation processes.
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of environmental NGOs.
- Strong analytical skills & ability to translate technical information into digestible information.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent writing, communication, networking and negotiation skills.
- Fluent English, and other languages an asset.
What ECOS offers
- An opportunity to lead high-impact work in the emerging area of circular industrial policy.
- An open-ended Belgian contract with a competitive salary package. The pay range for this position is between €4.488 – €5.792 (monthly gross) according to the ECOS pay scale. Actual salary will be determined depending on the skills and relevant experience of the candidate.
- A benefits package (meal vouchers, pension scheme, 13th month, excellent insurance, public transport, eco-cheques etc.), additional holidays and a focus on employee wellbeing.
- A flexible, dynamic, and very pleasant international working environment.
- Being part of a dedicated team whose common goal is to protect the environment.
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to addressing our environmental challenges.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing date: 10th September 2023
To apply please click ‘apply for job’
As part of the application process kindly submit your CV and a cover letter, preferably in MS Word. All application documents (cover letter and CV) should be submitted in English.
Need help submitting your application? Please email us at [email protected]
Should you require access to information in a different format to facilitate your application please contact us via [email protected]
Please name your submitted files with the following reference: ECOS_DBI
ECOS is an equal-opportunity employer, placing great value on diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse cultural backgrounds and expertise. We value your knowledge and commitment. If you believe you can contribute to our common goal, we encourage you to apply.
Red Sea takes our responsibility towards protecting your personal data very seriously. The data you provide is processed in line with relevant data protection legislation. For the purposes of this recruitment, and as defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Red Sea is defined as the Data Controller.
Red Sea is committed to meeting the standards set out in our Equality and Diversity statement, acting in line with the UK Equalities Act 2010 and building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce in encouraging equality and diversity.